Dhokla is a popular & delicious Gujarati (vegetarian) recipe. Dhokla can be of various types like Khaman Dhokla, Khatta Dhokla, Cheese Dhokla and Rasia Dhokla and even innovative Sandwich Dhokla (a combination of any 2 Dhoklas).
Dhokla is a steamed food preparation, so it can be used as a healthy snack to other fast foods.
Previously making Dhoklas for me was buying those ready made packs and preparing dhoklas by following the instructions. If the measurements written at the back of the pack was not followed properly, the dhoklas did not turn out to be fluffy.
After I had a microwave, I tried making dhoklas with the proper ingredients and procedure. Believe me, the final dhokla did look nice and tasted delicious too (though I had to try a couple of times to get that perfect looking dhokla!)
- 1 cup curd
- 1/2 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda / soda-bi-carbonate
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- a pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp eno fruit salt
- 1 cup water
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp green chillli paste
- 1 tsp mango powder (optional)
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry patta (curry leaves)
- 5-6 whole green chillies (slit lengthwise)
- 1 bunch coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- Grease a microwave safe flat dish with little oil. Keep aside.
- Take a bowl, mix all the ingredients of dhokla and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into the greased dish.
- Microwave (covered) at 60% power for 5-6 mins.
- When ready, pour 1 cup of water (with mango powder, optional) over the dhokla till the dhokla absorbs all the water. Cover and keep aside.
- In another microwave safe bowl, microwave oil at 100% power for 30 secs.
- Add all the ingredients (except grated coconut & chopped coriander leaves) and microwave for 2 mins.
- Take out the dhokla and transfer in a serving plate.
- Spread the tempering evenly on the dhokla and cut into pieces.
Serve: Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with white (coconut) chutney / green (dhania) chutney or with imli (tamarind) chutney.